Friday, February 22, 2013

Updates for Week Ending Feb. 22, 2013

All,
Last week Nathan sent me a link about the largest shareholder of ViaSat (VSAT) stock.  He is Seth Klarman, and he runs the Baupost Group which is a large hedge fund.  Hedge fund is another term for a mutual fund that only super rich people can participate in.  About 3 years ago, Seth bought $300 million worth of ViaSat stock, and now he is up to $500 million, which is 25% of our company.  I believe that Seth is buying our stock with the full approval of Mark Dankberg, our CEO, which means that Seth will not try to do a boardroom battle and oust Mark some day.  But still, having someone own 25% of your company can sometimes turn bad with that much money involved.  I am interested in seeing Baupost's filing for next quarter (end of March, 2013) to see if Seth sold any VSAT stock when we hit $50 in early February.  I certainly sold mine. 

Here is the Seth Klarman link:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1200961-a-review-of-seth-klarman-s-baupost-group-s-q4-u-s-equity-changes?source=yahoo

Also, last week Diana asked if it was time to buy Intel (INTC).  INTC low today was $20.10, and their 52 week low is $19.23.  I would like to buy INTC at $19, because they also pay a 4.3% dividend.  So I checked their PUT Options and found the October PUT at Strike $20 was as high as $1.50 today.  That would mean an total buy price of $18.50 ($20 - $1.50) if I were to sell this PUT for $1.50 and then get INTC PUT to me for $20.  I have not decided yet if I want to do this.  

The PUT options I am considering now are:  
     INTC  Oct$20@$1.50   7.5% option premium and a 4.3% dividend
     NVDA Sep$12@$1.20  10% option premium and a 2.40% dividend
     PBR Oct$15@$1.50     10% option premium and a 1.50% dividend
     HMY Aug$6@$.60       10% option premium and a 1.40% dividend
     APOL Aug$17@$1.70  10% option premium and a 0.00% dividend

Since I am retiring, my wife and I have generated a Budget spreadsheet that captures all the categories where we spend money.  This spreadsheet also includes a daily Ledger where we are logging in the expenses for each day.  It will total them up for every month to compare against our budget.  We need to be sure that our retirement income is adequate for our lifestyle.  This Budget Ledger spreadsheet is attached above and is available for download at www.ultimatestockfinder.com at the "Investment Training Webpage"

For ViaSat employees, Mutual Fund Evaluator.xls has a worksheet "ViaSat 401K Fund Symbols" that shows the JP Morgan descriptive fund names and stock market symbols.  The JP Morgan website is not very clear about what the symbols are for several of our 401K funds, so now you can easily look up the symbol for your funds and read how they are performing in the "MutualFundEvaluator" worksheet.

Here are my Buys and Sells so far for this month February 2013:

Buy   Company    Buy
Date  Bought      Price    Target Sell
-----   ---------    ------   -------------
none

Sell      Company   Sell     Buy       Buy
Date      Sold         Price   Price     Date
-------   ----------   -------  -------   ------------
2/4        AAPL       $36.00      not bought unless it is PUT to me. 
       PUT$430 Oct2013                                     

2/7        VSAT      $4.00   $32       Employee Stock Purch Plan 6/29/2012
       CALL $50 Sep2013     

2/8        RFMD      $.75     $4.45     1/9/2012
        CALL $5 Aug2013

2/11       MU         $.82     $6.50     9/10/2010
        CALL $8 Jul2013

2/11       SKUL      $1.20        not bought unless it is PUT to me. 
       PUT$6 Sep2013                                     

2/21        AAPL       $40.00      not bought unless it is PUT to me. 
       PUT$425 Jan2014                                     

Check out how I use Options (PUT's and CALL's) to make more money off some of the stocks I buy and sell while still minimizing the risk to me.  "Go to Investment Training Webpage" on the right hand side at www.UltimateStockFinder.com  

StockEvaluator.xls and Mutual FundEvaluator.xls are available on www.ultimatestockfinder.com

No comments:

Post a Comment