Friday, March 7, 2014

Investment Idea Sharing March 7, 2014

This Week's Activity – March 8, 2014: 
Remember, this month’s meeting is Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 7:30 PM at my house. 

My favorite CEO is Herb Kelleher, founder and retired CEO of Southwest airlines.
Herb has an approach to management of business and employees that is very simple and effective, yet none of his other competitors have chosen to follow it even though he started his successful airline in 1973.  Here is an excellent interview he gave to ‘Fortune’ ,magazine in Jan. 2013.  http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/14/kelleher-southwest-airlines/

Two of my investing friends, Michael and Nathan, have been immensely helpful with improving my Evaluator spreadsheets over the past 3 years.  One of the key functions they introduced me to is an automatic web lookup function for Excel that returns current price/share for any stock or mutual fund symbol.  This look up function is called ‘EXCEL Stock Market Functions Add-In’.  Read about it here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smf_addin/info

I am using this ‘SMF’ function in my personal ‘Investment Tracker’ spreadsheet that contains all of my holdings.  This function allows my spreadsheet to show a real time value of my net worth, so I do NOT have to enter all of my holdings into one of those web sites with a ‘Cloud’ based table where you enter in all of your holdings.  I DO NOT want all my holdings on the web in one place for others to see what and how much I hold. 
My spreadsheet also calculates several key metrics including:
   Total holdings value ; % Gain for each holding ; % of portfolio for each holding

You can download a fully functional example version of my ‘Investment Tracker’ spreadsheet for your own use from the ‘Training’ page at Ultimate Stock Finder.com:  http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/investmenttrainingindex.html

This week, the world market indices were mixed, some up, some down, but none by much.

I still think the markets are overpriced but I continue to look for good values on individual stocks of good solid companies. 

Summary Table of Worldwide Market Index Closing values for this week:

StockEvaluator ‘Short List’
‘Short List’ screens using 12 fundamental value limits that I want to see in a stock before considering it as a possible buy. 
View our training video that shows how to enter your preferred values for each of these ‘Short List’ screening limits:

View the ‘Short List’ screening criteria and target limit values here: http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/short_list_12_criteria.JPG

Stocks on the ‘Short List’ list this week are:  Short List would not run this week due to web look up problems.

Stock Evaluator ‘Volatility Sort’
Stocks on the ‘Volatility Sort’ have Current Price <5% above 52 week low, Volatility >1%, Profit>0%, <5 Red cells, Debt-to-Equity<80%, Goodwill-to-Equity<50%. 
Stocks on the ‘Volatility Sort’ this week are: Volatility Sort would not run this week due to web look up problems.

MutualFundEvaluator ‘Short List’
Mutual Funds that are within 3% of their 52 week low AND have less than 3 Red cells. 
This week’s list has 34 funds.  All are Bond funds, which are all still 5 to 9% above their lows from 2006 to 2008 before The FED dropped interest rates to bring the U.S. out of the recession.  When interest rates go down, bond prices go up, and when interest rates go up, bond prices go down.  These bond funds only pay a 3 to 4% annual dividend and I think the bond prices will go down another 3 to 4% when The FED finally lets interest rates go back to historic levels which mean 10 Year Bond interest rate of at least 3.5% compared to today’s 10 year rate of 2.79%.  Mutual Fund Evaluator ‘Short List’ would not run this week due to web look up problems.

Next Monthly Meeting 2nd Tuesday of every Month:
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 , 7:30 PM at my house. 

Here are my Stock BUYs for This Week:
Stock Symbol:
Buy Date: 
Buy Price:  
Target Sell Price:

Here are my Stock SELLs for This Week:
Stock Symbol:
Sell Date:
Sell Price:
Buy Price:
Buy Date:

Here are my Mutual Fund BUYs for This Week:
Fund Symbol:
Buy Date: 
Buy Price: 
Target Sell Price:

Here are my Option (CALL or PUT) Sells/Buys for This Week:
Option:  
Stock Symbol:
Buy to Close Date:
Expiration Date:
Strike Price:
Option Price:

Visit www.ultimatestockfinder.com to download all Stock Evaluator and Mutual Fund Evaluator spreadsheets, read training articles and check out all our web links for investing information.

Please remember to send me any other investing ideas, information or questions that you want to share with the group.

Thanks,
John D.

Disclosure: The author has no positions in any of the stocks or mutual funds mentioned in this article unless clearly stated above. We certify that except as cited herein, this is our work product. We received no compensation or other inducement from any party to produce this article.  Please see our full legal disclaimer at:  http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/stockevaluator_disclaimer.html
______________________________________________

To Remove Your Name from this email distribution list, reply to me and I will delete your name.

Ultimate Stock Finder is also on Facebook, you can ‘Like’ us on FB and receive our weekly ‘Investment Idea Sharing’ letter (summary paragraph only) to your FB page.  https://www.facebook.com/UltimateStockFinder


You can read our weekly ‘Investment Idea Sharing’ letter at our Ultimate Stock Finder blog:  http://ultimatestockfinder.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment