Saturday, September 20, 2014

Investment Idea Sharing Sept. 20, 2014 - Google Watchlist

Investment Idea Sharing – Sept. 21, 2014: 
See below for my personal stock market Buys or Sells for this week:
Buy Stock: none
Sell Stock: none
Sell Covered CALL: none
Sell Cash Secured PUT: none

I use StockEvaluator.xls spreadsheet to run different Excel sorts and Auto-Filters to screen for companies with fundamental values that are close to meeting my target limits in Column E of StockEvaluator.xls.  Whenever I find a well run company that I would be willing to buy if it ever got down to a “Good” price, I add their stock symbol to my “Watch List”.  For the past 10 years I have used the Yahoo Finance “My Portfolio” screen for my “Watch List”.  Yahoo had a great function that allowed me to enter my Target Low Limit for each stock, and then Yahoo would display a down arrow beside each ticker symbol on my Watch List that had current stock price below my Low Limit.  This flagged me to do my final research on a stock when it finally got down to my preferred buy price.  This worked great for me for years. 

A few months ago, Yahoo Finance changed their Portfolio screen and took away my down arrows.  So, I had to look around the web for another free stock portfolio price tracker.  I found that Google Finance “Portfolios” is even better than Yahoo used to be.  Google Finance Portfolios calculates the percentage that today’s current price is away from my Target Low Limit, and then lets me sort this percentage column from lowest to highest which brings the stock symbols that are farthest below my target price to the top of the list for easy viewing.  Wow!       

Since Google intends this screen to be used to track your Portfolio, their column names do not instantly make sense for use as a Watch List, but the proper functions are all there.

Here is how you can use Google Finance.
  1. Go to Google Finance:  https://www.google.com/finance
  2. Select: “Portfolios”
  3. At upper right Click: “Create new Portfolio”
  4. Enter some stock symbols
  5. Click: “Edit Transactions”
  6. In “Shares” column, enter a 1
  7. In “Cost Basis” column, Enter your target buy price
  8. Click “Save Changes”
Your Portfolio will display with “Last Price” multiplied by “Shares” (where you entered a 1) and will calculate “Mkt Value” which is automatically divided by “Cost Basis” (where you entered your target buy price) and automatically gives you “Gain %”.  This “Gain %” value is the percentage that “Last Price” is above or below your target limit value.  Now click on “Gain %” to sort in Ascending order, and the stocks that are farthest below your target buy price will sort to the top.  If you want to change your target buy price at any time, you can always go back to “Edit Transactions” and change “Cost Basis” to whatever you want.

My Google Finance Portfolio currently has over 80 stock symbols.  Whenever I find a new stock that I want to track, I add it to my portfolio. I have no idea if Google has a limit to how many symbols I can track in any one portfolio, but I know they will let me add more portfolios, so I do not expect to run out of room.

Screen shot of my Google Finance Portfolio:

Last week, the world market indices were all pretty flat except Russia (down 3.5%).  The Dow Jones 30 Industrials and S&P 500 hit new all time highs. 

I continue to look for stocks that have good fundamental financial values, but stock prices near 52 week lows.

Summary Table of Worldwide Market Index Closing values for this week:

Here are my Stock BUYs for This Week:
Stock Symbol:
Buy Date:  
Buy Price:  
Target Sell Price: =;

Here are my Stock SELLs for This Week:
Stock Symbol:
Sell Date: 
Sell Price: 
Buy Price:  
Buy Date:  
Here are my Mutual Fund BUYs for This Week:
Fund Symbol:
Buy Date: 
Buy Price: 
Target Sell Price:

Here are my Option (CALL or PUT) Sells/Buys for This Week:
Option: Covered CALL 
Stock Symbol:
Sell to Open Date:
Expiration Date:  
Strike Price:
Option Price:  

Option: Cash Secured PUT 
Stock Symbol:
Sell to Open Date:
Expiration Date: 
Strike Price:
Option Price:

Visit www.ultimatestockfinder.com to download our Stock Evaluator and Mutual Fund Evaluator spreadsheets, read training articles and check out all our web links for investing information.
NOTE: Spreadsheets will NOT be updated from Sept. 1 until Sept. 20 because I am on vacation.

StockEvaluator ‘Short List’
‘Short List’ screens using 12 fundamental value limits that I want to see in a stock before considering it as a possible buy. 

View our training video that shows how to enter your preferred values for each of these ‘Short List’ screening limits:

View the Stock Evaluator ‘Short List’ screening criteria and target limit values here: http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/short_list_12_criteria.JPG

Mutual Fund Evaluator ‘Short List’

View the Mutual Fund Evaluator ‘Short List’ screening criteria and target limit values here:

Please remember to send me any other investing ideas, information or questions that you want to share with the group.

Thanks,
John D.

Disclosure: The author has no positions in any of the stocks or mutual funds mentioned in this article unless clearly stated above. We certify that except as cited herein, this is our work product. We received no compensation or other inducement from any party to produce this article.  Please see our full legal disclaimer at:  http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/stockevaluator_disclaimer.html
______________________________________________

To Remove Your Name from this email distribution list, reply to me and I will delete your name.

You can read this weekly ‘Investment Idea Sharing’ newsletter at our Ultimate Stock Finder blog: http://ultimatestockfinder.blogspot.com/

Ultimate Stock Finder is also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/UltimateStockFinder


Your friends can sign up to receive an email of this weekly ‘Investment Idea Sharing’ newsletter at: http://www.ultimatestockfinder.com/contactusindex.html

No comments:

Post a Comment